River cruisers are a loyal bunch, and the lines that ply our inland waterways are only too well aware they love to be rewarded. So who has the best loyalty program on the river?
Comparing is a serious business, with credit of up to $700 and expensive hotels stays at stake.
Most lines make their guests climb the ranks based on the number of sailings they have completed. Scenic and Evergreen use a points system. Different cabin categories and destinations earn different points per day.
Lines like Viking River Cruises and Uniworld do not have loyalty tiers.
But there are some standout perks to be had, including: receiving travel credit or vouchers of up to $700, up to two nights pre/post cruise hotel stays, complimentary laundry service, exclusive offers, priority on pre-release itineraries and more.
Custom designed travel bags and accessories are also common gifts as cruisers reach new tiers of the loyalty program.
Find out the loyalty program highlights that each line offers to their most loyal guests below:
The line offers the APT Club which has four membership tiers. Reach the highest membership tier with six trips of more than seven days.
- Two night hotel stay before or after your trip at select hotels (to the value of $350 per room, per night)
- Custom-made travel accessory – a technology kit including a mobile charger and worldwide adapter on your sixth trip and your choice of any item from the Travel Accessory Collection on all further trips
- Welcome home voucher: $100 per person discount towards your next trip
- Friends and family voucher: $100 per person discount for a friend so they too can enjoy an unforgettable APT experience
In addition to their membership programme, their guests can also earn Qantas points when booking APT holidays.
- Earn 2 Qantas Points per AU$1 spent on APT Luxury River Cruise holidays
- Earn 1 Qantas Point per AU$1 spent on all other APT holidays
Find out the full list of APT Club perks here.
The Scenic Club has four tiers and with no need for additional travel to maintain membership or tier status. Members enjoy benefits such as complimentary luggage, quarterly member magazine, vouchers, special offers and on board services.
- up to $300 Thank You voucher to redeem on guest’s next cruise or tour (If only one tour in the reservation. Up to $600 voucher if two or more tours are booked in the same reservation)
- Choice of a Scenic Club merchandise or luggage received prior to every trip
- Complimentary pre or post-night hotel stay for trips of 20 days or more
- Upgraded hotel categories for pre or post accommodation when available
- A Welcome Home hamper after every Scenic trip of 20 days or more
- On board credit for use in our Wellness Centre. €75 when travelling on a Scenic Space-Ship in Europe, US$75 for South East Asia River Cruising or RUB 4,500 for the Scenic Tsar in Russia.
- Multiple access to dining at Table La Rive, Portobellos and L’ Amour or Table d’or
- Unlimited laundry and pressing on cruises
- Member only competitions and events
Find out the full list of Scenic Club perks here.
The line has the River Heritage Club where guests are automatically enrolled after their first cruise. It is a single tier membership.
- Exclusive welcome gift
- Complimentary in-room fruit platter waiting onboard for you upon arrival.
- Complimentary laundry service.
- Join the Captain for a members-only cocktail party onboard.
- 5% on select trips across The Travel Corporation brands.
Find out the full list of River Heritage Club perks here.
The Crystal Society accumulates Milestone levels according to the number of sailings you have made.
• Crystal Society Savings on every voyage
• Exclusive As You Wish Credits that can be used for almost everything available on our ships
• Hosted cocktail parties
• Priority first mailing of all brochures
• Free cruise reward redeemed at Milestone 25
• Penthouse Upgrades for various Milestones
• Special Recognition dinners and celebrations at various Milestones
• Crystal Society Host or Hostess on every voyage
• Dedicated Crystal Society promotional offers
Find out the full list of Crystal Society perks here.
The line does not have a specific loyalty program but the Globus family of brands including Avalon offers a “Welcome Back Credit” of up to $275 per person.
You’ll earn credits each time you travel on a Globus, Cosmos, Monograms or Avalon Waterways holiday. The credit is calculated on the value of the cruise.
Viking River Cruises
The Viking Explorer Society is a single tier membership. Guests are automatically enrolled after their first cruise.
- If you reserve within one year of your last Viking cruise, you receive $200 per passenger in travel credit; if you reserve within two years, you receive $100.
- Viking Explorer Society members-only cocktail party
- Be among the first to be informed about new Viking Cruises itineraries and new ships, so you always have first choice of destinations and departure dates.
- Receive news about special limited-time offers
Find out the full list of Viking Explorer Society here.
The Evergreen Explorer membership uses a point system and has three membership tiers.
- up to $700 Welcome Home Voucher to use towards future travel
- Complimentary backpack on tour
- 1 night pre/post cruise stay on trips 7 days or longer (20 days or longer for gold membership)
- Exclusive member-only savings and offers
Find out the full list of Evergreen Explorer perks here.
The line offers their guests with a Traveller Club. Reach the highest membership tier with six trips of more than seven days.
- Travel kit including a backpack, ticket wallet, luggage tag and a personalised itinerary
- Free return home-to-airport transfers of up to 60 kilometres from major airports
- Two nights’ accommodation before or after your trip – select hotels
- Welcome Home discount valued at $100 per person on completion of your trip
- $100 per person discount for a friend on completion of your trip
Find out more about the Traveller Club here.